Monday, July 06, 2009

Blood Music


So, people often talk about what a wonderful life it must be, being a composer and married to a doctor. My life is wonderful, but not for those reasons. Yesterday I was elected to help my dearest in her pursuit to make your patient experience more enjoyable. I became the practice patient for setting an IV.

Before the fun stuff I will note that this was certainly not the first time that I had a needle stuck in my arm for the sake of mankind. When I was living with Christine in Alaska and Seattle after my Masters at New England Conservatory, I needed to raise funds for graduate school applications. It turns out that people are not likely to hire you if you are moving every month or so and you don't have a permanent address that is not a PO BOX. So, I donated blood to pay for my applications to PhD programs. Fortunately it was only for eight school (I had applied to 28 for my Masters!) so it only took a couple of months worth of submitting to the Vampire to make it happen. I was reminded of this time yesterday when I again became a human pin cushion. Fortunately for me, the person putting the needle in now is a medical professional.



"Hello, I am your friendly doctor."


"These are my tools."


"Universal precautions mandate clean hands."



"Now you won't be able to get away."


"We'll try here." My vains tend to roll around so it took two tries. And note the used sterile wipe on the counter.


"Got it!"


"I'll save you!"


"Remnants for the sharps container."




Oh and I should note before you invite you over for dinner that we indeed did disinfect the counter.

1 Comments:

Blogger rarrin' said...

Haha, I know the feeling Chris. When I was getting my IV for morphine when I had my babies, the nurse tried it twice in each hand but was not successful. Finally the anesthesiologist came in and was able to find one in my arm in no time. Both hands were severly bruised from the nurse though. In other words, many patients for years to come will be greatful for you :)

7/06/2009 08:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home