Friday, April 28, 2006

shiney objects


Working at Starbucks, I am the person that you talk to for 15 seconds to 1 minute depending on, well, many factors. Tonight Denice came through my drive through. She had many shiney objects on and I informed her that they were fabulous and that I to had a fascination with shiney objects. In fact I referenced it in my myspace bio. She enquired why I was drawn to them and I let her know it was a combination of two things. One, shiney things generally break the light into a wide variety of colors and this provides a portal into the complexity of the seemingly simplistic nature of the universe. I really love little elegant reminders of that duality. Secondly, there was a time when I was young and I went to the apartment of a person, I have no idea who. I believe the air was filled with smoke and I was amazed by the discovery of two crystals hanging in the window. These simple $1 items broke the light into a fabulous display and I was amazed that something so simple could bring so much h entertainment for me. It was really a magical moment. So in each and every sparkey object, I see a reminder of that moment and all of the profundity and wonder that it continues to inspire in me.

I of course enquired as to her fascination and she responded that for her it was a sign of someone who took an extra moment to be special. And as we all know positive energy is contagious. It was also a symbol of female power for her. Which reminded me of the strip club here in Anchorage, or rather the one that I went to. It is really all about women having power and that power is derived from an almost hypnotic ability, it is quite profound.

Finally, I began to wonder what biological advantage there is in being attracted to shiney objects. I can't say that I have an answer. Does anyone else? The only thing that I can imagine is that it is good to be drawn toward the sun. Is that enough of a reason? Not sure.

Thanks to Denice for 5 minutes of reminding me of what an amazing planet we live on.

3 Comments:

Blogger rarrin' said...

Funny you mention those shiny crystals fromy our childhood. It sparked a memory in me as well of the same situation. I don't remember where it was but I do remember playing with them. I believe grandma and grandpa K had some but I was also thinking maybe the nagels. Highly unimportant, but I felt like I was in your memory, just a weird feeling.

4/28/2006 07:48:00 AM  
Blogger christopher jette said...

You might be remembering the large mirrired dining room wall/doors to the china closet. This certainly had that effect, also gma k had a good deal of shiney chatchka's about the astor place apartment. And then of course there was the chandelier. Or maybe you recall off the lights of the harbor?

Funny to remmeber that, I would spend nights just staring out the window looking at the ships out on the water or the lights of summer fest. Those warm summer nights and the gorgeous view. And then the 4th of July fireworks from the balcony that alwats thought was going to plumit to the earth below. But we were wrapped in enough blanckets and just sleepy and dreamy enough that it didn't matter.

I find it strange and familiar that we have such similar recolections. And while it is logical, I understand the wierd sense that you can see inside of my head and memeories, just as I can see into yours. Interesting.....

4/28/2006 06:57:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I was telling Ms. J that I have similar memories, but that for me it seems to go back to that dining room with the huge window and the mirrored doors. For some reason I remember being fascinated by that area (which if I remember correctly was right near the liquor cabinet, coincidence?). I remember something sparkly or shiney. It is interesting to me to relect on these shared experiences. I always think of my memories as my own, it is comforting in some ways to share these thoughts.

5/01/2006 11:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home