Wednesday, September 09, 2009

9.9.09



These are the images that got me going today, they are the design work of Naoto Fukasawa.




I found a link to an 2007 interview of Naoto Fukasawa this AM and find myself captivated by the notion of hari, which is characterized this way in the intro.

a Japanese concept that in physical terms implies surface tension and in the emotional milieu refers to balance and fulfilment.


While the article is full of matter for contemplation, I particularily liked the notion of designing the atmosphere versus the flower.
EK Is there ever any point in challenging people’s core awareness of design? Is it ever productive to try and make people accept what they don’t immediately understand?

NF Making tables that exactly fit the expectations of the environment creates a kind of disappearance. People don’t feel a new table there. I like that challenge. Even my design in this room: the body feels, ‘Oh this is a nice room’, but nobody knows why it’s good. Either the chair you design is very quiet, not really expressing anything, or it can be like a flower in the room, like a Philippe Starck chair. There are two different tendencies in design. There are those who like to create flowers and those who prefer to sort out the atmosphere for those flowers. I would say I am more towards the latter kind.


Then I came along to this

Neurosonics Audiomedical Labs Inc. from Chris Cairns on Vimeo.



So many wonderful things happening in our little world (I watched
Watch
Carl Sagan's Cosmos, Part 1 in Entertainment  |  View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com">Cosmos last night, which has turned me to considering humanities minute role in the universe). Human happiness is creating and observing.

Today's work brought me to contemplation of this image of DC offset. Not a problem to clean it up, maybe a bit tedious with lots of different files, but it just makes my sound work look so animated (in a way that is not auditorily perceptible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home