Friday, July 30, 2010

Computer 10 n 11


So here are some more performance studies of my latest patch. I am not sure if I ever noted it before, but this entire project was inspired by a comment by Dick Raaymakers about Cannon in 5 movements ( a wonderful listen if I do say so). He called it "mouse music. That got me thinking about all of the individual impulses in a sound file. So, I built a continuously recording buffer that is triggered by loud input to play an individual sample. Then I added different means of reading the buffer to provide a little of the real world sound, brief it may be, and often transposed.



10




11version One (no compression)


I also took number 11 and compressed it a great deal. This is more akin to what one finds in modern mixes of pop music. It certainly doesn't look as interesting and there is a great homogenization of the volume. It does bring out some detail which is interesting, but I think I prefer the largely dynamic first version. Of course, as with all of these, it will be more apparent on a high quality listening system. (Leave a comment about the compression).


11 version 2 (with compression)


True, my works are nothing like Dick's, he spent 3 years solid cutting and splicing thousands of pieces of tape (ir sine tones on magnetic tape). Yet, the impulse of the impulses has guided this project, although as of late I have strayed into more tone's as it were. The other aspect of this piece is that I am using a cracklebox for a good deal of the sound source. Another Dutch contribution to my thoughts.

Here are the 5 Cannons by Dick Raajmakers

Canon - 1, Super Augere


Canon - 2, Super Imprimere


Canon - 3, Super Addere


Canon - 4, Super Sub-Trahere


Canon - 5, Super 'Dis-Moi...'



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home