Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Serialism and AC Toolbopx

I am thinking about analysis of given material and doing that on a human scale and computer scale, or maybe more appropriately doing that analysis in a way that favors human strengths and computer strengths. Listening to the first serial distribution of velocity and amplitude example (starting at 2:25) I am struck by the how landing on the quieter pitches creates phrases. I am reminded of abstract paintings that I used to make where I would then go back with a black ball point pen and outline facial features and or full faces. At 3:50 the landing point seems to be louder notes. Of course the duration has a big effect, I also think the first couple of phrases perceived have an import bearing on the perception of phrase. I say perception of phrase as there is no intention on the part of the algorithm to create a phrase, but we still perceive one, or rather, my ear and brain group it that way. The section at 6:00 is an interesting strategy to orchestrate based on choices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home