Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wild Card Wednesday





Today I was invited to speak about my life as a graduate student at UCSB and about an upcoming concert (Nov. 6 2009 The Hub @ UCSB's Lotte Lehman Concert Hall) along with my teacher Clarence Barlow. This was an AM radio station in Santa Barbara, KZSB and the show is call Wednesday Morning Wild Card, hosted by Barron Ron Herron(he is the gent wearing a hat and seated in the above picture that I found online. I have no idea who the other person is). It was an amazing experience. Listen.

Oh, and the reason that we were late... The email that we received from John Villar accidentally directed us to 1317 STATE Street, not Santa Barbara St. It is a simple mistake to make and Clarence and I should probably have double checked the address before embarking,but we didn't. That meant that Clarence and I, both fresh as one can be after an evening discussing music and drinking red wine can be, showed up to the Arlington Theatre and were a bit perplexed. Eventually, modern technology, in the form of a cell phone made this happen.






"


5 Comments:

Blogger object said...

i've only listened to the beginning, but this is cracking me up.

definitely sample-able.

"no . . . it's the same keyboard . . . " ha ha ha ha ha. not sure why i found that so funny.

(ooh. i don't think the hub outdates kraftwerk, though. 1970?)

10/28/2009 04:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm laughing pretty hard !

10/28/2009 05:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>(ooh. i don't think the hub outdates kraftwerk, though. 1970?)

Yeah, no. We're old, but not *that* old. I listened to Kraftwerk as a teenager. Plus, it would have been hard lugging around a computer network in 1970.

The League of Automatic Music Composers (The Hub's predecessor) did their thing in the late 70s and early 80s, dating from the release of the KIM-1 microcomputer. The Hub formed in 1987.

Fun (and funny) interview, nevertheless! See you next week!

Phil Stone

10/28/2009 09:42:00 PM  
Blogger christopher jette said...

Phil, Sorry about my fact flipping, it was a bit early.

object, I was thinking about making a piece from the interview and sending it to The Baron.

Barak, I am sure you are laughing with me.... well maybe not.

This was so much fun. It got me to thinking about how wonderful it would be to have a radio program again.

10/28/2009 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger object said...

Phil: We're looking forward to your visit! (I listened to Kraftwerk when I was a teenager, too. We must be the same age.)

Christopher: I've already cut the interview down to 10 minutes. just cuz. i saw the negativland link on your side bar and that reminded me of when i played that a Negativland song in one of your TA sessions (you liked it). Anyway, I can definitely imagine a Negativland style piece coming from this interview. Funny but educational, too.

oh, i didn't even realize my name wasn't on my post. object=salman. maybe you already figured that.

10/29/2009 12:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home