Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Nebraska Day 3


Today felt like the first real day. I settled into a long time at work and without the giddiness of having just arrived. I realized that being present in the giddiness and in the eventual turn away from it to the comfortable is how I have loved and lived things in the past. Those things where I have not been present have been forgotten. In many ways that is what this blog is about and at it's best, that is what art is.

I remembered today that Ray Spicer, My old photo teacher, used to come out to Nebraska in the summer on account of the light and the space. As I wandered around and snapped pictures, I realized a lot about what he had been saying.

I forced myself to move into working on music derived from the era of big studio's, Aretha Franklin and Patsy Cline. It is not a revolution of crazy, but it feels like a decided step beyond my comfort zone, even though several years back this is part of how I defined my ideas about how to move forward. In so doing today, I tried not to think about what this made me, but rather just to see where the material takes me. It will be some time before it pans out, but I am hopeful that it will be interesting. who knows. Initially it is curious.

And now the pictures from today's walk.












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home